Crispy, puffy, addictive – these are the three words that come to my mind. Hey, I just realized – 3 words for these 3 ingredients puffs. Ha ha 😀 Anyway, the combination of sugar and cinnamon is heavenly. There is no match for it. Am I right? And when you add that heavenly combination in some vegan puff pastries, it becomes even more irresistible.
They are sweet, light, and just so good. You can’t have just one. By the way, if you like sugar-cinnamon combinations, then you must try these soft and sticky sugar-cinnamon buns (vegan).
These cookies or puffs (Palmiers) seem very simple and easy. Well, they are. But you need to practice a little to get that right heart shape. When I first tried it, it turned out absolutely shapeless and they all broke while baking in the oven. Ahhh…my heart was broken for days after that. I did not think that it will be so difficult to shape. Though the taste was absolutely delicious but I did not get that nice shape.
The problem was that I was in a hurry to make them. I had no patience to wait. Yes. Like I always say, you need the patience to cook something. That is the key to delicious and perfect food. Where did I go wrong? First, I did not thaw the store-bought sheets and that develop some cracks while rolling. Second, I did not freeze the sheet before slicing it. That is very important because while rolling, the butter in it melts and it becomes too soft to handle or cut into a perfect shape. So, just remember these two things and you are all set.
If you are in a hurry, watch the video instead and If you enjoy watching it, Plz Subscribe to our Youtube channel.
How to make Puff Pastry Sheet at home?
I made it just once but that was the rough puff pastry. These days it is quite easy to get one from the local stores that I don’t feel like making it at home. It is quite tricky and you need the right temperature and pressure otherwise it goes bad. If you want to make the puff pastry at home, I would recommend the recipe of Claire Saffitz.
Tips to bake it right
- Thaw the sheets: You need to have the sheets at the room temperature otherwise it will form cracks while opening the sheets and even while rolling. It won’t form nice shape of the cookies. That is why, take it out of the refrigerator at least 1 hour before you plan to make it.
- Freeze sheets before cutting: The sheets becomes quite delicate after thawing or rolling. It will be too difficult to cut it into pieces. That is why, refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes after rolling. This will freeze the butter in the sheets and make it firm again.
- Filling: Instead of sugar cinnamon, you can just use some sugar. You can even spread any jam inside. Even jams taste good. Apart from that, you can even make it savory by applying some garlic butter or pesto.
- Sugar: You can even use brown sugar.
How to store Palmiers?
You can store these puff pastry cookies in an air-tight container and leave them on the countertop for at least 2 to 3 days (depending on the temperature at your place). You can easily refrigerate them for a week or 10 days. Put them in an airtight container otherwise, they might become dry.
Having said that, they won’t last for more than a day. Trust me on this 😀
Once baked, they are quite crispy and flaky in texture. If you want it to be harder, bake a little extra. If you want the cookies to be a little softer from the inside, bake them a little less.
Is this recipe Vegan?
Yes. It is a 100% vegan and plant-based recipe. But if you are not vegan, you can buy a regular puff pastry sheet (not vegan).
Can we freeze the Palmiers?
You can freeze the puff pastry sheets for months. You can even roll and cut them into pieces and store them in an air-tight container and then freeze them. They can easily last for 1 to 2 months or even more. Before baking, take them out and keep them in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, and then bake them. This makes a nice evening snack. If you have kids at home, they are going to love it.
More Cookise Recipes
- Chocolate Filled Butter Cookies
- Whole Wheat Gingerbread Cookies
- 5 Ingredients Oats Thumbprint Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Now you are all ready to make these vegan, crispy, and flaky cinnamon puffs at home. It is perfect for your sweet cravings. It is perfect for a quick evening snack. So, grab all the ingredients, and let’s get baking.
If you like the recipe, please share the photo on Instagram and tag us too @marriedfriends. We love to see your recreation of our recipes.
Happy Cooking 🙂
Love from us
Richa & Jatin
3 Ingredients Cinnamon Puffs – Classic Vegan Palmiers
Crispy. Flaky. Sweet.
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet (Vegan)
- 1/2 cup Fine Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon Powder
- Thaw the sheet. Take out the puff pastry sheet from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.
- Mix Sugar and Cinnamon in a bowl.
- Sprinkle some sugar-cinnamon mixture on a surface. Spread out the sheet over it.
Open the sheet and spread it gently.
- Sprinkle a layer of the sugar-cinnamon mixture all over the sheet. Cover every inch with this mixture.
- Roll it out using a rolling pin. Make sure it is in a rectangular or square shape.
- Start folding from one side. Tuck gently and tightly. It should not be a loose fold. Keep rolling and folding till the middle of the sheet. Repeat the same with the other side.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 C, top/bottom.
- Take out the rolled sheet from the refrigerator. Put it upside down on a surface and cut it into 1-cm thick pieces.
- Place them on a lined baking tray with at least 2-inch space in between. They spread while baking. Bake at 180 C for 18 to 20 minutes or till they are brown and caramalized.
- Once done, take them out and let them cool.
- Your puff cookies or palmiers are ready to take a bite :) Enjoy.
Palmier is a French cookie that is made from the puff pastry sheet. It has the shape of a palm leaf or butterfly. Generally, it needs just two ingredients – puff pastry sheet and sugar. Nut you can create many variations of these. You can make them either sweet or savory.
Puff pastry sheets can be used to make pies, tarts, canapes, many different kinds of desserts, quiche, etc. The most common Indian recipe is to make potato-filled patties.
Both the doughs are made with the same technique of folding and laminating. They both need the butter that is folded into the dough multiple times to create the layers. That gives them flakiness while baking. But the dough for croissants and puff pastry is different. The dough for croissants needs yeast for a nice rise and the texture while baking.