What do I say about this recipe? It is a simple meal but looks like you are having a party at home. It is perfect for the days when you want restaurant-like food but doesn’t want to go to any restaurant (or order anything). Generally, Kung Pao is made with chicken. But we are going to make the vegetarian or vegan version of it. This is the recipe made of roasted tofu and some crunchy veggies, all coated in some hot sauce. It is topped with some peanuts for some nutty flavor and crunch.
Ideally, you don’t need anything with the Kung Pao recipe. It can be served as is. But we prefer it to be slightly saucy or gravy-like. That is why I am going to serve it with some rice. It tastes incredibly delicious that you will dream about it for days 🙂 Trust me on this. Give it a try.
If you don’t have time, watch the video instead and if you enjoy it, please Subscribe to our Youtube channel too.
- Tofu: Instead of tofu, you can use paneer (cottage cheese) or potatoes.
- Rice: You can serve it with some noodles on the side.
What is Kung Pao?
Kung Pao is a hot, sweet, and spicy Chinese recipe. It is mainly made with chicken but if you are a vegetarian or a vegan, you can replace chicken with paneer, tofu, or potatoes. It is stir-fried or sometimes deep-fried. You can either make it dry or with some gravy-like sauce topped up with some roasted peanuts. The nutty flavor of peanuts tastes very nice in this recipe.
What does Kung Pao taste like?
Kung Pao is a hot, sweet, and spicy Chinese recipe. The veggies are stir-fried and crunchy. It has got some nutty flavor because of the addition of peanuts.
Is this recipe spicy?
Yes. This recipe has a lot of red chili sauce and dry red chilies that make it quite spicy and delicious. But of course, you can adjust the spiciness as per your taste. Like I always say, there is no rule in cooking 🙂
Is this recipe Vegan?
Yes. This Kung Pao Tofu recipe is totally plant-based and vegan. Generally, it is made with chicken but we made it 100% plant-based and used tofu instead.
Must-Try Asian Recipes
Now grab all the ingredients because you are ready to make this Chinese vegetarian/vegan meal at home. It is perfect for lunch or dinner. If you try this recipe & like it too, please share the photo on Instagram and tag us @marriedfriends. We just love to see your recreation of our recipes.
Happy Cooking 🙂
Love from us
Richa & Jatin
Delicious Kung Pao Tofu – It’s Vegan.
Quick. Easy. Healthy.
- 200 g Tofu cubed
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 cup Mixed Bell Pepper cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup Carrot cut length-wise
- 1/2 cup French Green Beans cut into bigger pieces
- 8-10 clove Garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup Spring Onion Bulbs cut into strips
- 4 - 6 Dry Red Chilli (Whole)
- 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Vinegar (25% acetic)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 3 tbsp Red Chilli Sauce
- 2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Cornflour
- 2 tbsp Water to make slurry
- 1 cup Spring Onion Greens cut into bigger pieces
- 1/4 cup Roasted Peanuts
- In a pan, heat around 1-2 Tbsp of cooking oil. Sprinkle some salt.
- Place tofu cubes on the pan and roast them on all sides till they are slightly golden and crispy. Once done, keep them aside.
Brush oil all over the tofu cubes while roasting.
- Heat around 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan. Roast dry red chilies for a few seconds.
- Add spring onion bulbs and saute for a few seconds until they are slightly soft. Keep the flame high at all times.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for a few seconds. We don't need to brown the garlic.
- Add french green beans and carrot. Saute for a minute. Then add mixed bell peppers. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add all the sauces - soy sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, red chili sauce. Mix well.
- Add water and let it come to a boil. Once the water starts to boil, add cornflour slurry (mix cornflour with 2 Tbsp of water). Mix and cook till the sauce thickens. It takes a few minutes.
Adjust the sauce consistency as needed.
- Once the sauce thickens, add tofu, spring onion greens, and peanuts. Mix and combine everything well. Your Kung Pao Tofu is ready to serve.
Serve with some rice or noodles.
Kung Pao is a hot, sweet and spicy Chinese recipe. It is mainly made with chicken but if you are a vegetarian or a vegan, you can replace chicken with paneer, tofu or potatoes. It is stir-fried or sometimes deep fried. It can be either made dry or with some gravy-like sauce and it is topped up with some roasted peanuts. The nutty flavor of peanuts taste very nice in this recipe.
Kung Pao is a hot, sweet and spicy Chinese recipe. The veggies are stir-fried and crunchy. It has got some nutty flavor because of the addition of peanuts.
Different kinds of Asian recipes are gaining the popularity that they always deserved. Nowadays, Asian recipes are not limited to just noodles and Manchurian or spring rolls and momos. So many different Asian recipes have become famous, especially after the popularity of K-Dramas in India during the lockdown. They are no doubt full of flavors and extremely delicious. If you love them, you will crave them. Below are the Asian recipes that you must try:
- Red & Green Thai Curry
- Kung Pao Tofu
- Tom Kha Gai
- Tom Yum Soup
- Khow Suey
- Chilli Oil Ramen
- Chilli Garlic Noodles
- Noodle Soup