Healthy doesn’t need to be boring. This cream cheese is made with ingredients that are easily available in our kitchen. It has all the healthy ingredients. There is NO HEAVY CREAM in it. Instead, it gets its creaminess from the cashews. & Trust me, after trying this recipe, you will never buy any sandwich spread or mayonnaise from the market. Guaranteed!
We both love sandwiches. And we landed in a perfect place – Germany. It is the land of the most delicious bread. The bread here is crusty from the outside and soft from the inside. And the flavor is to die for. We experiment with a lot of different sandwiches. Earlier, our refrigerator used to be full of different spreads and sauces. But since we started buying things after looking at the ingredients, we had to say bye to all those spreads and sauces.
The store-bought sandwich spreads, mayonnaise, and sauces contain so many nasty ingredients. They are not at all healthy to eat especially for those who love sandwiches and eat them a lot. That’s when I started experimenting with different ingredients to create some spreads for our sandwiches. I even made a sandwich spread using tofu. That is vegan and extremely delicious. And you know what, since I made this sandwich spreads at home, I literally stopped buying them from the market. Homemade spreads are so delicious, flavourful, and healthy. When you make it at home, you know what is going in your body.
Moreover, it is so simple and quick to make that why to buy it from the market. Right.
If you are in a hurry, watch the video instead and If you enjoy watching it, Plz Subscribe to our Youtube channel.
ADJUSTMENTS YOU MAY WANT TO MAKE
- CURD: Curd adds a nice hint of sourness in the homemade cream cheese. You can even substitute it with the lemon juice. Just add 1 to 2 Tbsp of lemon juice. It should not taste sour or lemony.
- CASHEWS: Soaked cashews make this cream cheese smooth and creamy. But, you can substitute it with some fresh cream or almond paste.
- NUTRITIONAL YEAST: I know not everyone has this ingredient. If you don’t have it, you can totally skip it. It would taste equally good. I add this ingredient because it is nutritious and a source of Vitamin B12. Also, it adds a nice cheesy flavor in this cream cheese sandwich spread.
- SEASONING: You can experiment with all kinds of flavors in this homemade recipe. I added chives and dill leaves. But you can add fresh or dried basil, parsley, oregano, chilli flakes, coriander, mint leaves, rosemary etc. Add any herb or seasoning of your choice. I definitely add some herbs because they are one of the richest sources of natural antioxidants. One more reason to make it at home 🙂
- OLIVE OIL: I used olive oil because that is always available at home but you can try other oil too like walnut oil or avocado oil. Just don’t add the oil which has a strong and sharp flavour. We don’t want the flavour of oil to dominate in the sandwich spread. Oil adds a nice creaminess and richness in this sandwich spread but you can totally skip it too. Sometimes, I do make it without any oil.
CAN WE MAKE IT VEGAN?
Yes. Of course.
I even made a youtube video on vegan cream cheese spread. I do not have the written blog but if you want to check out the recipe, click here.
Or just substitute the cottage cheese with tofu and curd with any vegan curd or lemon juice. Easy Peasy 🙂
HOW TO STORE IT?
You can store it in an air-tight container and put it in the refrigerator for a couple of days. It makes an easy and quick breakfast recipe or an evening snack recipe. Just apply it to the toasted bread and place some vegetable slices. You will be ready with a delicious breakfast or snack.
You can even use the sandwich spread as a dip and enjoy it with some freshly cut cucumber, carrot, and celery fingers.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES TO TRY
Now you are all ready to make this delicious sandwich spread at home. It is perfect to make a healthy sandwich for breakfast. It is quick, easy, and very tasty. So, grab all the ingredients because you are ready to make a happy meal for yourself.
If you like the recipe, please share the photo on Instagram and tag us too @marriedfriends. We love to see your recreation of our recipes.
Happy Cooking 🙂
Love from us
Richa & Jatin
Homemade Cream Cheese – Creamy & Healthy.
Creamy. Cheesy. Healthy.
- 1 Cup (180 Grams) Cottage Cheese (Paneer) crumbled
- 1/4 cup Cashews
- 2 tbsp Curd
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast optional
- Water as needed
- 1 tbsp Chives finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dill Leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper ground
- Sandwich Spread as prepared
- Bread Slices as needed
- Salad Greens as needed
- Tomato Slices as needed
- Onion Slices as needed
- Cucumber Slices as needed
- Soak cashews in hot boiling water for at least 10 to 15 minutes. After that, rinse them with regular water.
- In a blender, add all the ingredients and blend them into a smooth paste. Add water only if it is needed to blend well.
- Your homemade cream cheese is ready. Now it is time to add some flavors to it.
- Add the seasoning ingredients and mix well.
Experiment with your choice of seasonings and flavors. Options are given above.
- Your cream cheese sandwich spread is ready. You can use it right away but I prefer to let it rest for some time. It thickens and becomes more flavorful.
- Apply a generous amount of the sandwich spread on the bread (toasted or un-toasted).
- Place some greens on it followed by tomato, onion, and cucumber slices.
You can add bell peppers, coriander, etc. too.
- Finish it off with another slice of bread with some sandwich spread on it.
- Serve with hot coffee or tea. Enjoy your happy meal :)